Re: Lint-related patches for coreutils

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Lint-related patches for coreutils
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2022 22:20:39 -0800

On 1/31/22 13:48, Pádraig Brady wrote:
src/expr.c: In function 'single_binary_main_expr':
error: function might be candidate for attribute 'noreturn'

OK, thanks, running in single-binary found some other issues too, plus one actual-albeit-minor memory leak in df that wasn't found with a normal build presumably due to memory layout differences.

I installed the attached to fix the problems I found. The last patch should fix the diagnostic you mentioned.

I've never really gotten the point of why commit messages should start with 'maint:' vs 'shred:' vs whatever. If it were up to me, I'd remove the requirement that commit messages start with those prefixes, as that requirement consumes valuable space in the commit message's first line, space that can often be put to better purposes. In the meantime I'll try to remember your suggestion to use 'maint:' a lot, though I admit I didn't quite get there with the attached patch batch.