Re: Feature request

From: Mike Hodson
Subject: Re: Feature request
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2020 17:26:04 -0700

On Sun, Dec 13, 2020, 08:51 Ed Neville <ed-coreutils@s5h.net> wrote:

> The work around I suppose is to use dd or rsync
>
>   dd if=... of=... status=progress
>
>   rsync -avP

While not part of Coreutils or with as much historical provenance as dd and
rsync, the task of relocating a file with progress bar or any other
potential task that might involve a pipe, makes 'pv' aka 'pipe viewer' a
very useful tool in the sysadmin command line arsenal.

pv < filetocopy > outputfile

It's also nice to use it on the output (and sometimes concurrently the
input) of a pipeline involving gzip or another compressor to determine
visually the input and/or output of such process.

pv's utility and simplicity make it my favorite choice of the 3 listed in
the simple 'file copy' scenario among many others.

Mike