Re: suggestion: /etc/dd.conf

From: Kaz Kylheku (Coreutils)
Subject: Re: suggestion: /etc/dd.conf
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2020 08:42:49 -0700

On 2020-04-28 02:14, turgut kalfaoğlu wrote:
I would like to suggest and in fact volunteer to create a conf file
option to 'dd'.

By doing that you're replacing function arguments with global variables, which is a bad idea.

It has dozens of hard to remember options, and there are some that I
would like to use all the time.

Look into shell functions and aliases.

For example, I am currently doing:

$  sudo dd if=CentOS-6.10-x86_64-LiveDVD.iso of=/dev/sdc bs=4096 conv=fsync

right now, and I have to lookup the conv=fsync option every time I
want to write to a USB drive.

It's unlikely that this option is required; have you tried it without?

To make sure any buffered writes are flushed, do a "sync" after the entire dd operation.