Re: suggestion: /etc/dd.conf

From: carl hansen
Subject: Re: suggestion: /etc/dd.conf
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2020 19:24:21 -0700

On Tue, Apr 28, 2020 at 6:08 AM turgut kalfaoğlu <address@hidden> wrote:

> I would like to suggest and in fact volunteer to create a conf file
> option to 'dd'.
>
> It has dozens of hard to remember options, and there are some that I
> would like to use all the time.
>
> For example, I am currently doing:
>
> $  sudo dd if=CentOS-6.10-x86_64-LiveDVD.iso of=/dev/sdc bs=4096 conv=fsync
>
> right now, and I have to lookup the conv=fsync option every time I want
> to write to a USB drive.
>

> Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
>
>    -turgut

suggestion, just create a file and make it executable that includes
all your options
echo  sudo dd if=CentOS-6.10-x86_64-LiveDVD.iso of=/dev/sdc bs=4096
conv=fsync> $HOME/bin/ddforCent
put $HOME/bin in your $PATH
you could make several versions, with differing options
ddforSomesituation, ddforforsomeothersitutation etc

The last thing the world needs is another conf file, with its documentation