Re: Hack on one of the coreutils programs

From: Pádraig Brady
Subject: Re: Hack on one of the coreutils programs
Date: Sun, 31 May 2015 23:00:28 +0100

On 31/05/15 22:12, Tomas Nordin wrote:
>> Off the top of my head:
>>
>>  git clone --depth=1 git://git.sv.gnu.org/coreutils.git
>>  cd coreutils
>>  ./bootstrap && ./configure --quiet && make -j$(nproc)
>>  git checkout -b my-branch
>>  vim src/ls.c
>>  make
>>  # make install # to install to /usr/local/... by default
>>  # (which is adjustable with ./configure options).
>
> Configuring to a specific location for the make install is the secret
> for isolated tests, yes? Can you give any suitable examples on the
> adjustable options to ./configure.

Well usually with coreutils you can just run the built binary directly.
I.E. you could run src/ls directly after the make step.
Also you could copy that binary to /usr/local/bin or whatever.

If you do want to follow and adjust the standard `make install` process,
then look at the various "DIR" options listed in ./configure --help
However note that generally with GNU/Linux systems at least it's usually
better to interact with the packaging system, which would involve
adding your patch to the coreutils source package and rebuilding/installing.

cheers,
Pádraig.