Hack on one of the coreutils programs

From: Tomas Nordin
Subject: Hack on one of the coreutils programs
Date: Sun, 31 May 2015 19:15:31 +0200

Hi

Given a cloned local repo of the coreutils, how to hack on one of the
utilities and test it.

Say I want to try and see if I can make something interesting with the
ls program, something with the output. Do you have any pointers or
guidance on how to go about doing this. I mean, not from the actual code
change perspective but all the practical things around it. The compile
procedure and the testing of the experimental result.

I get confused about this, if not for else because all those utils are
already on my system, so I guess I don't want to make a full install of
the play code for trying it out.

/
Tomas