cygwin results [was: [platform-testers] new snapshot available: coreutil

From: Eric Blake
Subject: cygwin results [was: [platform-testers] new snapshot available: coreutils-8.22.151-37b36]
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2014 15:38:51 -0600

On 07/13/2014 08:47 PM, Pádraig Brady wrote:

[umm - was the Reply-to of address@hidden intentional?
I'm assuming you wanted replies just to the coreutils list]

> We plan to release coreutils-8.23 next week, so any testing
> you can do on various different systems between now and Thursday
> would be most welcome.
>

> To test follow this standard procedure:
>
>   tar -xf $downloaded_file
>   cd coreutils-8.22.151-37b36
>   ./configure && make check VERBOSE=yes

On 32-bit cygwin, a default ./configure didn't even get to 'make check'
due to this error:

  CCLD     src/make-prime-list.exe
make[2]: *** No rule to make target 'src/libstdbuf.so', needed by
'all-am'.  Stop.

Trying again with
 ./configure --enable-no-install-program=arch,coreutils,hostname,stdbuf

lets the testsuite run:

# TOTAL: 563
# PASS:  365
# SKIP:  152
# XFAIL: 0
# FAIL:  42
# XPASS: 0
# ERROR: 4

I'm attaching the results.  Most of the failures are not flaws in
coreutils proper, but limitations in cygwin itself (aka gaps where
cygwin is unable to supply proper posix semantics).  I'll try and look
closer at the failures, to see if there are any obvious fixes for upstream.

At this point, it's probably not worth holding up the release for
cygwin; I can probably patch around the worst of it, and will be
providing pre-built binaries for cygwin whether or not the final 8.23
release has fixed any of these problems.  Although a quick fix that
disabled stdbuf on platforms where it can't be built might be nice, it
certainly doesn't qualify as a recent regression.