Re: cut enhancement: -C as short option for --complement

From: Jim Meyering
Subject: Re: cut enhancement: -C as short option for --complement
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2012 19:08:23 +0200

Mark Krenz wrote:
>   Hello, I use the cut command a fair amount from the command line and
> having to type out the full option to complement can get tedious. I
> would like to suggest having -C be the short option for --complement. It
> seems like C might be a good choice for the option letter, although I'm
> unsure if people might start thinking that -C would be the option that
> takes the arguments for fields to exclude.
>
> I made a quick patch against the latest source that seems to work ok and
> have included it below. Comments?

Did you know that --co is an acceptable abbreviation for --complement?
Normally --c would work, but that is ambiguous due to the presence
of the --characters=LIST option, so you have to add the "o" to come
up with a unique option prefix.

We try to avoid adding new short-named options unless there is a
very compelling reason.