Re: join on multiple field

From: Pádraig Brady
Subject: Re: join on multiple field
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 12:37:12 +0000

On 02/13/2012 01:54 PM, Peng Yu wrote:
>> Can't you already do this with awk?
>
> This is not a very useful comment.

Take things on this list as discussion,
rather than a mandate.
We're all very open here.

> Everything that coreutils do can be
> done with some other software. Since 'join' can do 1 field join, it is
> natural to ask for multiple field join. After all, people use
> coreutils for its convenience in certain aspects. Why not make it more
> convenient?

Sure. There is always a trade-off in adding new logic.
Extra docs for users to parse, and extra code to maintain, etc.
Discussion, is needed to aid decisions.

> The current working flow in coreutils is like from the stone age,
> while many other open source projects use more advanced dvcs like
> github or bitbucket.
>
> I had tried to send some patch before. Besides the above mentioned
> inconvenience, I have to get my signature from GNU office, which they
> never reply my email.
>
> If coreutils wants me people to contribute, the patching/submission
> processes must be improved. The current process is way inconvenience
> for new contributors.

The last assignment was completed in a few days.
Could you perhaps follow up with address@hidden
in case something got lost along the way?

cheers,
Pádraig.