Re: join on multiple field

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: join on multiple field
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 06:37:42 -0700

On 02/12/2012 08:40 PM, Peng Yu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It seems that 'join' only allow joining on 1 field.

Correct, that's the POSIX-specified behavior.

> It will be very
> useful to allow multiple field join.

Can't you already do this with awk?

> Is anybody in the develop team
> interested in adding such a feature in join?

Not really, unless _you_ want to submit the patches.  It's very hard to
justify bloating 'join' to do something that 'awk' can already do, since
it is easier to find a machine with a solution that works now with awk
than it is to find a machine with a new version of coreutils installed
with your proposed extension to 'join'.

> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-coreutils/2004-03/msg00089.html

The same comments from that thread still apply:

[the mail archive munged that; it would be address@hidden]

--
Eric Blake   address@hidden    +1-919-301-3266