Re: Files full of zeros with coreutils-8.11 and xfs (FIEMAP related?)

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: Files full of zeros with coreutils-8.11 and xfs (FIEMAP related?)
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 11:24:19 -0600

> On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 10:53:48AM +0200, Jim Meyering wrote:
>> Can you or anyone else point to authoritative documentation
>> (or even a summary of those "discussions") of FIEMAP semantics?
>
> A large part of the problem is that there's none and the semantics
> is a hode-podge of random flags that mostly make little sense
> outside of fs developers debugging the layout that we created.  The
> closest to a description is Documentation/filesystems/fiemap.txt
> in the kernel tree, but that doesn't document most of the delicate
> points.

Would it be worth borrowing from Solaris' semantics and adding SEEK_HOLE
and SEEK_DATA to lseek(2), as a higher level (less-detailed, but easier
to define and easier to use) interface for discovering the regions of a
file that only contain NUL bytes?  FIEMAP is a great interface at
exposing everything possible, but coreutils doesn't necessarily need all
that complexity just for determining when it is safe to skip over a
portion of a file that is either unallocated or unchanged from the
initial 0 contents.

--
Eric Blake   address@hidden    +1-801-349-2682