Re: Web page with quick links to all C4 and C5 egg versions

From: Lassi Kortela
Subject: Re: Web page with quick links to all C4 and C5 egg versions
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2021 15:55:04 +0200

Isn't that page similar to https://eggs.call-cc.org/4/ and
https://eggs.call-cc.org/5/ in terms of content?

It collects both Chicken 4 and Chicken 5 versions of the information on the same page, which is its main point.

Regarding to the link to the eggs-[45]-latest repos, I think that can be
a bit misleading to people trying to find out the repository of eggs.
Those repositories are merely a representation of the egg caches in git
format -- they are NOT the canonical repositories of eggs.  The
canonical repositories should be linked from the egg documentation.

Good point. Could link to the origin repos instead.

Regarding versions being up to date or not, the intent of that
information is not clear to me (it's very probable that I'm just missing
something).

The page is geared toward egg authors and maintainers, not for people who just want to use an egg. That's why there's so much detail, and is probably the main cause of confusion.

Some aspects that may be relevant when comparing egg
versions between CHICKEN 4 and 5:

* Some egg authors have deliberately stopped updating eggs for CHICKEN 4
   once they got ported to CHICKEN 5.

* Some egg authors have deliberately decided not to port some eggs from
   CHICKEN 4 to CHICKEN 5.

* Most people who are creating new eggs are not making them available
   for CHICKEN 4.

Sure. FWIW, some C4-only eggs have been ported to C5 upon request.

* Some extensions that are eggs in CHICKEN 5 are core units in CHICKEN 4.

This would be useful to indicate somehow.