Re: [Chicken-users] [ANN] CHICKEN 5.0.0 release candidate 1 available

From: Claude Marinier
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] [ANN] CHICKEN 5.0.0 release candidate 1 available
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2018 17:19:40 -0400

Good afternoon,

Operating system: Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS
Hardware platform: x86_64 (AMD A8-7600)
C Compiler: gcc 7.3.0
Installation works?: yes
Tests work?: yes
Installation of eggs works?: fails to install 'format'

address@hidden:~/Programming/scheme$ chicken-install format
Server error:
Error: [Server] no such extension or version
"format"
#f
Server error:
Error: [Server] no such extension or version
"format"
#f
Error: extension or version not found: "format"

I must be missing something. Could the previous installation of Chicken 4,.13.0 be interfering?

Building a simple time stamp program fails.
csc timestamp.scm
./timestamp > prologue.scm
Error: unbound variable: command-line-arguments
    Call history:
    timestamp.scm:70: command-line-arguments          <--
That should be in process-context which is included. Add this and try again.
(declare (uses process-context))
Fails again.
sc timestamp.scm
timestamp.o: In function `f_154':
timestamp.c:(.text+0x612): undefined reference to `C_process_2dcontext_toplevel'

Removing the offending call and the declaration reveals another issue: it cannot find seconds->local-time. So, I added this.
(declare (uses time))
Does not work.
timestamp.c:(.text+0x5f3): undefined reference to `C_time_toplevel'
Then I added this.
(declare (uses time posix))
Same error.

I have not worked with Chicken is several months. Am I missing something obvious?

Thank you.

--
Claude Marinier