Re: [Chicken-users] Starting up spiffy for dynamic content

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Starting up spiffy for dynamic content
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2016 13:40:35 +0100

On Tue, Mar 08, 2016 at 12:02:29PM +0000, Norman Gray wrote:
> It occurred to me that I could/should use the vhost-map to do this
> dispatching, using something like
>
> (vhost-map `((".*" . ,(lambda (continue) ... and ignore (continue)))))
>
> But (a) that would clearly be a hack

Actually, that's how it was designed to be used.  Not a hack at all!

> and (b) it appears that that's designed to be able to re-parameterise
> a request, rather than handle it itself,

It's intended to be used like that, and you *may* re-parameterise (but
that's not necessary).  The idea is that you can create "components"
which can be chained together, influencing their sub-components by
simply parameterising some options and then passing the flow on to
continue.  The last component in the sequence would then actually
serve the request.

> so (c) that would clearly be a hack.

Again, that's not a hack but the design.

> Another possibility is to specify the handle-not-found handler, and
> make sure to start the spiffy server in a context which has no files
> at all, so that the handle-not-found handler will always be called.
> But that also feels like a bit of a hack.

That's a bit awkward, but it's an equally valid option.

> The final possibility is to use intarweb directly, but that's
> unappealing, since it would require me cut-and-pasting quite a lot
> of the content of spiffy.scm.

Now *that* would be a hack ;)

> Where this is coming from: I'm pretty familiar with the Racket
> servlet framework which requires, in serve/servlet
> <http://docs.racket-lang.org/web-server/run.html>, a
> request->response mapping function.
>
> If I'm missing something really obvious, then apologies, and could
> someone hand me the clue-stick?

I think you're coming at this from a slightly wrong angle with some
preconceptions that prevent you from using the system as designed,
because you did figure out how to use it (you came up with two valid
solutions to the problem) but rejected them offhand.

Cheers,
Peter