Re: [Chicken-users] Homepage design proposal

From: Matt Gushee
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Homepage design proposal
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2015 12:30:52 -0700

Hi, Tim and everyone--

I've been meaning to comment on this topic for some time, but I am
somewhat afraid to express my opinions on this list (I hasten to add
that that has nothing to do with anyone's behavior here - just my own
feeling of being hopelessly outclassed in this community. Plus the
fact that I tend to ignite controversy without meaning to). But my
hand has been forced!

And I have to make this really quick, so this is going to be more of a
braindump than a coherent statement ....

First of all, Tim, I think your mockup is a giant step forward. Thanks
for doing it! I agree that the homepage needs work, the sooner the
better, and I mostly agree with your approach to the task. I also took
a recent tour of programming language websites and gleaned more or
less the same insights as you. Funnily, the site I thought was best
(more from an information architecture standpoint than a visual one)
was opendylan.org - Dylan being possibly the coolest implemented
language that nobody uses.

However, I'm also a strong proponent of designing web sites around
their content, and I think the site as a whole lacks coherence and
needs an overhaul. But that should not be based on one person's, or a
small group's idea of what makes sense. I think there is a broader
topic that should be discussed before any major work is done on the
site. That is the question of how Chicken Scheme should position
itself in the software development world.

And actually, I have to cut this off right now. I'll try to finish my
thoughts later this afternoon. Let me just complete the above thought
by saying that I think it's a great idea to reorganize the homepage
content and layout right now along Tim's lines. And I'm not saying the
"bold new look" is necessarily wrong, just that any new visual design
should apply to the whole site, and so perhaps should wait until the
deeper problems are addressed.