Re: [Chicken-users] Arch User Repository packages

From: Matt Gushee
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Arch User Repository packages
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2015 22:38:41 -0700

Actually, upon further reflection, I think my previous post was a bit
confused. The reasons I gave were surely valid reasons for
*something*, but maybe not for the points I was making ;-) What I
really want to say is that:

* I believe that in some hypothetical future where people are
developing end-user applications in Chicken Scheme, not just the
applications but all their runtime dependencies, typically including a
number of eggs, should be made available as packages for Arch (or
whatever flavor of) Linux - for all the usual reasons we have packages
and libraries to begin with. Although an AUR package doesn't provide
much benefit in and of itself (it has to be compiled either way, and
chicken-install is very easy to use), I imagine the developer is
hoping the application will eventually be accepted into the official
repo; at least I would, if I were the developer. And at that point not
just the app but all its dependencies will need to be available as
binary packages.

* On the other hand, as long as the only purpose for the egg packages
is to provide libraries for developers, I would agree that it is a
waste of time to package them. Let developers just use
chicken-install.

And consequently, I will *not* be thinking about how to automate
AUR-packages-from-eggs. Hope that doesn't break anyone's heart.

--
Matt Gushee