Re: [Chicken-users] Arch User Repository packages

From: John Cowan
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Arch User Repository packages
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2015 22:21:04 -0500

Matt Gushee scripsit:

> Also, in my experience with various Linux tribes, there is a general
> expectation that binary packages should depend only on other binary
> packages. Indeed, there is a potential security issue in that (at
> least in principle) official binary packages are tested and
> security-audited by the dev team of any given distribution, so
> allowing a package to install other software outside the
> distribution's procedures would be frowned upon if not prohibited in
> most distributions.

Sure.  But in that case it is the business of the OS-specific packager
to ensure the appropriate dependencies are provided in an OS-specific
manager.  Chicken by itself has no way to specify, except in prose,
what the non-Chicken dependencies of any given egg are, because there
are no universal names for these dependencies.

--
John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        address@hidden
        Sound change operates regularly to produce irregularities;