Re: [Chicken-users] [Q] uri-common has problem with UTF-8 uri.

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] [Q] uri-common has problem with UTF-8 uri.
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 09:36:58 +0100

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 03:03:59PM +0900, Ivan Raikov wrote:
> Hi Alex,
>
>     I understand your point about make-uri, but I want to provide a uri
> constructor that takes a UTF-8 input string and maps it in accordance with
> RFC 3986 / 3987.

Personally I think it would make more sense to have iri versions of all
the uri-* procedures (ie, uri-reference <-> iri-reference,
absolute-uri <-> absolute-iri, etc).

This makes for a more regular and simple API and in general feels less
hackish.  Preprocessing sounds a little dangerous and error-prone, but
I can't immediately come up with a case where this will break.

At least we'll need to extend the test-suite considerably if this should
end up in uri-generic, IMHO.  Especially what happens when things are
already percent-encoded, and what happens when percent signs are
succeeded by UTF8 characters.  Also things like IRI scheme and path
components need to be checked.

Cheers,
Peter
--