Re: [Chicken-users] Cygwin installation report

From: John Cowan
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Cygwin installation report
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2010 13:17:58 -0500

felix winkelmann scripsit:

> > Excellent!  There still remains the issue that when running on Windows,
> > csc should do this embedding for any user-written program that contains
> > the magic strings in its name ("instal", "update", "setup").  Ideally gcc
> > should do this, but until it does, csc seems the right place.
>
> Actually quite a good idea. I'll check this out.

On further investigation, it turns out that this is just one of the
criteria by which the kernel detects a supposed installer; helpfully,
Microsoft has not released the whole algorithm.  So it should probably
be done to every program unless a switch is used to suppress it (in
case you know what you are doing and want your programs to run with
elevated privilege).

--
Do what you will,                       John Cowan
   this Life's a Fiction                address@hidden