Re: [Chicken-users] Bug in canonical-path?

From: Vincent Manis
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Bug in canonical-path?
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 18:58:14 -0700

On 2008-Oct-26, at 11:50, Peter Bex wrote:
It would be better to make the behaviour be system-specific, instead of adding flags. On Windows, *always* treat slashes as backslashes. On Unix, *only* accept slashes with no additional translation steps. (I'm not sure
Windows doesn't allow slashes in filenames, but I don't think it does)
I strongly disagree with this particular recommendation. Sometimes I have code running on Unix that manipulates Windows file names (thanks to VirtualBox, that's something I want to do more often, these days). I recommend a design that has a flag with settings such as `this is a Windows name', `this is a Unix name', and a default setting of `this is a name for the OS I'm currently on', which can certainly
work the way Peter suggests.

-- vincent