Re: [Chicken-users] hygienic egg PORT-A-MANIA!

From: Elf
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] hygienic egg PORT-A-MANIA!
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 22:51:34 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008, Ivan Raikov wrote:
<snip>

I can not remember that anybody ever used it

 I use it for the majority of the eggs written and maintained by me.

i wasnt aware that we weren't supposed to document eggs that way anymore, i thought it was just wiki preferred. all of my eggs are documented via eggdoc, not the wiki. only times i use the wiki for my own egg documentation
is to spend hours bashing my head against the hideous css.

Doesn't svnwiki allow heavy customization of single pages via svn
properties? egg-post-commit (which is still running, and will do so
for as long as chicken 3.x.x is supported) could do the
eggdoc->wiki conversion (possibly with embedded HTML) and set
custom css or template for these pages.

 Do you want to do that? I'd rather be writing new code and porting
old code to the hygienic code, rather than messing around with
CSS. The least amount of effort is to simply permit the generation of
online HTML documentation from eggdoc scripts in the release/4 branch.

erm, as far as i can tell, svnwiki doesnt allow you to anything.  it took me
around 9 hours to figure out how to get tables lined up so the rows all started
in the same place.  solution ended up being: use <nowiki> tags.

i think the big difference between the two, for me... well, i spent 9 hours
getting a single table to work, and ended up having to subvert the wiki to
do so.  (even in nowiki the css mangled things.)  if i wanted to do another
table, id have to go through the same process again. i read all the documentation available at the time (and edited it, cause even the docs werent
displaying tables properly), and a chunk of the code.  conversely, i spent
6 hours working on a macro for eggdoc generation, and most of that was cause
i didnt read the documentation carefully and got confused... once i realised
how the eggdoc tag-macros worked, it only took a few minutes. now i have a simple, schemey format in a small number of lines of code that works for any of my documentation. it doesnt make sense, to me, to use something less
powerful, slower, and more brittle when there are better options.

-elf