Re: [Chicken-users] Hygienic Chicken's desftruct issue

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Hygienic Chicken's desftruct issue
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 22:14:03 +0200

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 05:04:50PM -0300, Alonso Andres wrote:
> Hi Peter, it works perfectly now, thanks!
>
> I'd also like to suggest changing the procedure <type>-copy to
> copy-<type>, since the former seems like we're dealing with a field
> called "copy" (because the convention of creating procedures like
> <type>-<field>) while the latter seems closer to the operation of
> creating a new instance of the type, where the operation name appears
> first, like make-<type>.

I thought about that. At first I had that, but then I got reminded by
Felix that there are other procedures like string-copy and such.
On the other hand, you're right that it's a confusing name. I'm not
very happy with it either, and since it's a new operation there's still
some room to change it without breaking a lot of existing software.

Perhaps you (or someone else on the list?) can think of a better name
that can be prefixed, to remove all confusion? Ideally it'd be something
which has been done before in Scheme, or failing that, something people
would have absolutely no preconceptions about.

Cheers,
Peter
--
http://sjamaan.ath.cx