Re: [Chicken-users] egg announcement: remote-repl

From: F. Wittenberger
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] egg announcement: remote-repl
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 14:20:40 +0200

Am Dienstag, den 19.08.2008, 13:32 +0200 schrieb Tobia Conforto:
> Jörg F. Wittenberger wrote:
> > Since both designs appear useful to me (I forgot about the details
> > of the 3rd), I'd rather support all of them for the user to choose
> > appropriately.
>
> I agree that in your case half-shared parameters (which are thread-
> local only when parameterize'd) are by far the easiest solution, but
> can't you just implement them on top of Chicken's non-shared
> parameters and override make-parameter and parameterize?  You could
> compile this alternate implementation as a library and load it before
> the rest of your code, even publish it as an egg.  What's the problem?
>
> I hope I'm not beating a dead horse ;-)

Not at all.

Actually I implemented them for me the way you suggested.

A few minutes ago I noticed, that this implementation does not exactly
the job I want them to.  Dunno yet, why (busy with business demands);
it's mostly the same code, which passed the test when patched into
chicken core.

Maybe that error is due to me not being familiar enough with the chicken
environment.  Overwriting make-parameter seems to be easy enough.  But
parameterize is a macro, linking to code, which was compiled with the
unmodified parameterize is IMHO bound to create subtile bugs.

But before I continue, I rather ask again to clear my confusion: are
dynamic-wind pre/post-thunks by chicken executed upon each thread
switch?

Thanks a lot

/Jörg