Re: Chicken-setup redesign (was: Re: [Chicken-users] Re: getopt, getopt_

From: Mario Domenech Goulart
Subject: Re: Chicken-setup redesign (was: Re: [Chicken-users] Re: getopt, getopt_long?)
Date: 14 Jul 2008 09:35:46 -0300

Hi Felix and folks,

On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 14:14:05 +0200 "felix winkelmann" <address@hidden> wrote:

> > That looks good.  If we don't want to play with Windows registry and
> > Unix symlinks, couldn't chicken-setup, when installing a `foo' egg,
> > pick the highest version and generate a foo.scm containing something
> > like:
> >
> >   (require-library foo-1.2)
> >
> > Considering 1.2 is the highest version number for the foo egg in the
> > local repository.
> >
> > Would that work?
> >

> Yes, that would work. You would also need a file for foo-1, I suppose,
> if one wants to to load the highest minor version of 1.XXX. This will
> produce lots of little loader-files, though.

Hmmm.  I haven't thought about this level of granularity.  I thought
users would either specify the exact version they want or no version
(in this case, the highest would be used).  How would users specify
they want to load the highest minor version of 1.XXXX?

I was thinking about creating a little loader for the highest version
_only_, for when users don't specify the version when loading an
extension (so the highest is picked).

For example, if the foo egg is installed (say its version is 1.0), the
local repo would contain:

    foo-1.0.so
    foo.so

foo.so would be generated by compiling

   (require-library foo-1.0)

since 1.0 is the highest version.

Now suppose there's a new version for foo (1.1).  So, when foo is
updated, the local repo would contain:

    foo-1.0.so
    foo-1.1.so
    foo.so

Now, foo.so would contain the code to load foo-1.1, not 1.0, but users
will still be able to load 1.0 if they need (explicitly, though).

Best wishes,
Mario