Re: Chicken-setup redesign (was: Re: [Chicken-users] Re: getopt, getopt_

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: Chicken-setup redesign (was: Re: [Chicken-users] Re: getopt, getopt_long?)
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 08:39:21 +0200

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 7:23 PM, Peter Bex <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 02:41:27PM +0200, Peter Bex wrote:
>> Of course, this would also require the possibility of loading a
>> particular version of a library.  I propose this syntax:
>>
>> (require-library foo (bar 1.2) (qux 1))
>>
>> This requires the latest installed version of foo (whatever that is),
>> and version 1.2 of bar.  From qux the latest installed minor version
>> with major version 1 is required (so, if you have 1.1 and 1.2 installed,
>> it will pick 1.2).  These semantics match those of the 'versions' egg,
>> I think.
>
> On second thought, the syntax above is needlessly complex.
>
> (require-library foo bar-1.2 qux-1) is much more straightforward and
> maps _directly_ to the code in the 'versions' egg, too.  It also reserves
> the "structured library names" like (bar ..) for future enhancements.

Indeed, the list structures are already used ("(srfi 1 2 3)", etc.). There
even is a "(version ...)" feature, but I forgot what it does (;-). The only
problem is searching for the highest sub-version, which will require
comparison of version files and obtaining directory listings. This will
have to happen at runtime and it would be unfortunate to make every
program depend on the posix unit.

cheers,
felix