Re: [Chicken-users] Debian packages for some eggs now available

From: Harri Haataja
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Debian packages for some eggs now available
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 15:55:45 +0200

On 13/02/2008, Ivan Raikov <address@hidden> wrote:
>   Well, the Debian egg packages can be easily converted to RPM by the
> alien program, but there might be slight differences in how each RPM
> distribution does its library version numbering. E.g. the estraier egg
> depends on libestraier8 package in Debian, but that could be named
> something completely different in RedHat, Suse and so on. The main
> Chicken packages and the eggs that do not have dependencies external
> to Chicken can be easily converted to and installed as RPMs, though.

It's been a while since I was last involved with rpm, but even then it
was certainly worth it making different spec files (and/or taking care
you don't use the wrong ones). It's not just the dependencies and
paths (which obviously matter) but there's also different sets of spec
macros and other things. They aren't really hard to write, though.

--
I appear to be temporarily using gmail's horrible interface. I
apologise for any failure in my part in trying to make it do the right