Re: [Chicken-users] Eggology

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Eggology
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 02:00:07 +0200

On 8/22/07, Sunnan <address@hidden> wrote:
> Benedikt Rosenau wrote:
> > Anyway, I propose the following: please keep dependencies between
> > eggs small.
> I disagree; sometimes, it seems better to split common code to libraries
> than to have duplication. Dependencies can be hell, but so can duplication.
>
> >  Further, no mutual dependencies (A needs B, and B needs
> > A) should be created.
> I guess I can agree with that. If that should happen, here are two
> solutions to that:
> Either:
> 1)  create a third package, C, with the stuff from A that B depends on,
> so that A depends on B and C, and B depends on C, or:
> 2) join the two packages.

I agree with Benedikt that dependencies should be kept at a minimum.
It starts with simple sharing of code but quickly everything ends up in
a tangle of dependencies that no one can comprehend. "tool" is a good
example:

tool -> srfi-37, args-doc
args-doc -> srfi-37, srfi-95
srfi-95 -> array-lib
array-lib -> srfi-42, miscmacros, misc-extn
srfi-42 -> syntax-case

This is insane.

(I've taken part in this mess, BTW)

cheers,