Re: [Chicken-users] Subversion support misguided IMHO

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Subversion support misguided IMHO
Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2007 16:20:49 -0800

John Cowan wrote:
Brandon J. Van Every scripsit:

The issue to me is when the development community is split into
different toolchains.

As long as no one is committing via Subversion, that isn't really a
problem.  The Subversion repository is just a read-only view of the
Darcs one that people can use to check out new versions as needed.

Obtaining a read-only view from Darcs is trivial, *on platforms that have Darcs*.  The latter is acknowledged to be an issue.

I'm not sure if I'm making myself clear on what I think "the problem" is.  The problem, as I see it, is not enough people have access to core Chicken development.  If they're forced into being minimally familiar with Darcs, i.e.

  darcs get http://galinha.ucpel.tche.br/chicken

then that's one less perceived barrier to submitting patches.

I am open to ditching Darcs, if there's something as technically
advanced, and mature, that has a greater platform reach, that we can all
agree on.

There isn't.  Subversion isn't and wasn't meant to be: it is designed
for a centralized repository only.  Darcs allows fully distributed
repository variants.

I'm not interested in moving to Subversion.  We were discussing Mercurial about 6 weeks ago.
http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/wiki/index.cgi/FAQ  Since that discussion, Arto started working on a Trac bugtracker.  http://trac.edgewall.org/  So now whatever Trac supports is an issue.  Fortunately, it appears to support both Mercurial and Darcs, although I don't know how well.  http://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/PluginList

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every