[Chicken-users] Subversion support misguided IMHO

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: [Chicken-users] Subversion support misguided IMHO
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2007 13:07:31 -0800

felix winkelmann wrote:
On 1/5/07, Brandon J. Van Every <address@hidden> wrote:

 I haven't considered whether building from a Subversion repository
introduces a difficulty. I do know you won't be able to build a Changelog, as you need a Darcs repository for that. To be honest I don't understand
why we support a Subversion repository for Chicken proper.  Awhile back,
Felix was saying that he and myself were the only 2 people using Darcs.
Well, if everyone else is using Subversion, that would have a lot to do with
it.

The subversion repo is just for people who don't have darcs. It's just for
convenience to get the latest development chicken. It is irregularly
updated from the darcs repo, which is and remains the main development
repository.

If I were making the decisions on such things, I would drop Subversion support and force people to use / learn Darcs. I'd provide a HOWTO, of course. The point is, Chicken needs more developers who are ready and capable of interacting with the core development tools. When they are allowed to use source control that isn't actually used for development, they are allowed to have a work + psychological barrier that keeps them from taking "the next step" towards contributing. I know I was in an "uuuuh, WTF is Darcs?" stage for a time, before I became motivated enough to start contributing. I don't think Chicken is large enough or convenient enough to be worrying about "the masses of programmers who casually try things out." Rather, Chicken needs to attract more core developers. Also, lack of Subversion isn't a dealbreaker for people casually investigating Chicken. We do provide source tarballs that actually build.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every