Re: [Chicken-users] New user; egg problems

From: Richard Lewis
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] New user; egg problems
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 18:20:42 +0000

Thanks for your replies regarding this.

I've just managed to install easyffi by removing the -G option from
easyffi.setup.

But it looks like I'll have to have a go at self-compilation. Being a Debian
user I'm extremely unused to this sort of thing. Wish me luck ;-)

On Thursday 07 December 2006 18:15, Mario Domenech Goulart wrote:
> Hello Ivan,
>
> On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 13:04:57 -0500 Ivan Raikov <address@hidden> wrote:
> >    I think even the most simple kind of Chicken/egg versioning would
> > go a long way.  For example, I can build easyffi and use it in Chicken
> > 2.3 if I simply remove the -G option. So if chicken-setup supported
> > different build commands for different versions of Chicken, this would
> > make packaging Chicken code a whole lot easier. In my case, I want to
> > provide my software as Debian packages, and so I am stuck with
> > whatever version of Chicken is available in the current Debian stable
> > release.
>
> Would it be difficult to make Debian a little more up-to-date
> regarding to Chicken?  2.3 is quite old.
>
> Or maybe we should have an "unofficial" Chicken build for Debian and
> its derivatives ([K,X]Ubuntu, Knoppix etc).  I don't know about dpkg
> packaging and compatibility among distributions .deb packages, so I
> have no idea if it's feasible, easy or even worth.

I would certainly use a Chicken Debian repository if someone were to make one.

Cheers,
Richard
--
Richard Lewis