Re: [Chicken-users] JNI bindings

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] JNI bindings
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 08:25:25 +0100

On 2/3/06, Mark Wutka <address@hidden> wrote:

> I don't know if anyone else has tried the JNI bindings, but so far they
> seem to work for me on SuSE 10. I tried with both JRE 1.4.2 and gcj and
> the hello.scm and hello0.scm worked fine. I also did a little playing
> around with defining methods, and things at least work. I tried invoking
> getBytes() on a string but found that I couldn't actually get to the
> individual bytes. There didn't seem to be any way to get from the
> jobject to a byte.
>
> I had thought about doing something like this, but this looks much
> better than anything I would have come up with. I don't care so much
> about getting SWT running, I think it's great that I could have fairly
> easy and uniform access to a much wider variety of databases than are
> supported right now, although it probably won't be the quickest thing in
> the world going through JNI.

It seems that (at least the Sun VM) doesn't play well with Chicken - running
the simple SWT example is erratic, and this is likely not due to SWT,
but to a general problem with JNI (it depends on the nursery size, and
such indicates that the JVM makes some strange assumuptions about
stack usage).
If it works for you - wonderful! But I wouldn't (yet) consider it reliable.

(I'm working on a somewhat different approach to interfacing to
Java (a weird hack, really), but have to figure out one ore more
things until it can be released)

cheers,
felix