Re: [Chicken-users] JNI bindings

From: Mark Wutka
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] JNI bindings
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 22:27:14 -0500

" Daishi Kato and myself have tried to get a basic Java interface
" up and running, but currently we have reached a point where
" we have no clue how to proceed. The basic stuff is working, but
" there appears to be a memory/stack related issue: depending
" on the stack-/nursery-setting a minimal SWT program (full
" SWT bindings have been created as well, but first the jni bridge
" has be working), behaves erratically or
" crashes. The basic tests seem to work on Linux (Sun JDK 1.5) and
" Mac OS X 10.4 (JDK 1.4, I think). GCJ on Linux works on simple
" tests but crashes on the SWT example (at least that's my last
" information - I haven't tried GCJ myself).
"
" Are there any Java/JNI experts around? Would someone be
" interested to have a look at it? If yes, check out the code by
" running "svn co https://svn.afc.no-ip.info/svn/chicken-eggs jni"
" (user "anonymous", password empty).

I don't know if anyone else has tried the JNI bindings, but so far they
seem to work for me on SuSE 10. I tried with both JRE 1.4.2 and gcj and
the hello.scm and hello0.scm worked fine. I also did a little playing
around with defining methods, and things at least work. I tried invoking
getBytes() on a string but found that I couldn't actually get to the
individual bytes. There didn't seem to be any way to get from the
jobject to a byte.

I had thought about doing something like this, but this looks much
better than anything I would have come up with. I don't care so much
about getting SWT running, I think it's great that I could have fairly
easy and uniform access to a much wider variety of databases than are
supported right now, although it probably won't be the quickest thing in
the world going through JNI.
Great work!
 Mark