Re: svn repo and updates (was Re: [Chicken-users] Re: objc egg v0.4

From: Thomas Chust
Subject: Re: svn repo and updates (was Re: [Chicken-users] Re: objc egg v0.4
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 12:44:55 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006, PeterBusser wrote:

Hi!

generally I consider it a bad idea to change something without
incrementing the version number. Of course one could for example agree on
using at least three level version numbers and only uploading to the web
when the first or second level changes -- but I don't know whether
everybody wants to follow such a scheme.
[...]

The revision control system (SVN in this case) already keeps track of
each change and gives each one a unique number. For those who use SVN,
these numbers are more relevant than the version numbers.

Each upload to the web should have a unique number. For the Adamantix packages, I use a simple counter. I.e. the first upload is 1, the 2nd 2, etc. No fancy two or three level numbering scheme, because most of the time they don't mean anything anyway. If numbers are abitrary anyway, then why not choose the most convenient arbitrary number?
[...]

Hello,

sure enough SVN has a repository revision number but there are several reasons why I like to keep my own version number around:

   * The SVN revision is repository-global, therefore it is always the same
     for all eggs. I prefer to have a status indicator local to my egg.

   * The SVN revision bumps with every commit and is just an integer. I
     prefer to bump my own version numbers with every progressing change
     and I like to use structured version numbers with a meaning of
     incompatible_changes.visible_changes.small_patches.

     For the transition from one stable state of a project to the next one
     I may require several commit / rollback cycles, causing my version
     numbers to jump strangely. For me the ability to snapshot a given
     state and return to it or merge parts of it back into the current one
     are the most important features of version control. But I only want
     the egg with the new version published once it's stable.

   * Last but not least SVN is not the only version control system around.
     Should the need ever arise to switch to a different system, I still
     have my own version counter which stays the same ;)

But all these points are more a matter of taste and I wouldn't want to force other people to adopt my style of software development, which everyone is free to find totally crazy if she likes.

I think that a web interface for managing egg releases could offer the greatest flexibility of automated solutions, though.

cu,
Thomas