Re: [Chicken-users] Question

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Question
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 14:41:10 +0100

On 12/27/05, Raffael Cavallaro <address@hidden> wrote:

> If we turn this into a wish list, my only wish for Chicken is that we would
> have a means of launching certain threads in their own independent runtime
> (i.e., a separate unix process) so that certain worker threads could utilize
> the mulitple cpus/cpu cores which will become increasingly common in the
> next year or so. I suspect this would be easier than rewriting the guts of
> Chicken so that threads were real OS threads capable of running on separate
> cores simultaneously.

Real OS-level multithreading is currently not posssible for Scheme code, but
separate processes might actually be a working alternative. What we need
is some efficient method of exchanging data between processes. Perhaps
serialization over shared memory? Well, I guess I have to do some
benchmarking...

cheers,
felix