Re: [Chicken-users] Question

From: Raffael Cavallaro
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Question
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 10:58:26 -0500

On Dec 25, 2005, at 5:49 PM, Benedikt Rosenau wrote:

What made you try or choose Chicken in the first place?

In no particular order:

1. The BSD license.
2. The abundance of contributed libraries and SRFIs, and the ease of setting up eggs with chicken-setup.
3. Apple's switch from ppc to intel and the fact that Chicken compiles to ANSI C which makes it quite portable across platfoms.
4. Felix's responsiveness and the speed with which new things become eggs - for example the speed with which Andre van Tonder's simple-macros and objc become eggs each time they are revised.

Though I have to say I became much more seriously interested when Apple announced their switch to intel and it became clear that using gcc was the only guarantee of future compatibility with Apple's OS.

If we turn this into a wish list, my only wish for Chicken is that we would have a means of launching certain threads in their own independent runtime (i.e., a separate unix process) so that certain worker threads could utilize the mulitple cpus/cpu cores which will become increasingly common in the next year or so. I suspect this would be easier than rewriting the guts of Chicken so that threads were real OS threads capable of running on separate cores simultaneously.

regards,

Ralph

Raffael Cavallaro, Ph.D.