Re: [Chicken-users] Objective-C interface (sort of...)

From: Raffael Cavallaro
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Objective-C interface (sort of...)
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 15:35:30 -0500

On Nov 25, 2005, at 1:41 AM, felix winkelmann wrote:

Attached is a version of my code that is slightly less broken.

cheers,
felix
<objc.egg>

I got the simple example in the docs to work by downloading a pre- built binary of libffi at:

<ftp://ftp.swarm.org/pub/swarm/binaries/macosx/2005-07-05/gcc-4- swarm.dmg>

To install it you will need a package viewer application such as Pacifist since I assume you won't want to overwrite the version of gcc that ships with the Apple Developer Tools but just want to add libffi.

more detailed instructions:

1. Download the prebuilt gcc at the above link.
2. Download and install Pacifist from <http://www.charlessoft.com/>
3. extract only those portions of the dmg that compose libffi and copy them to the appropriate directories within your existing gcc installation.
4. create the necessary symlinks as well.
5. When you run chicken-setup for lazy-ffi.egg it may complain about ffi.h etc. not existing. You'll need to create a symlink from these headers to /usr/include. Repeat for any other failures to find the necessary headers. Alternatively you could pass the correct include flags to csc but I prefer symlinks cause these will work for anything else that's looking for the libffi headers.
6. (sudo) chicken-setup -keep objc.egg
7. read the docs and run the test examples.

Thanks for this Felix. I only hope that libffi can be made to work with each OS upgrade.

regards,

Ralph

Raffael Cavallaro, Ph.D.
address@hidden