Re: [Chicken-users] Objective-C interface (sort of...)

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Objective-C interface (sort of...)
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 07:49:31 +0100

On 11/24/05, Thomas Chust <address@hidden> wrote:

> As far as I can see, the objc_msgSendv family of functions or the
> NSInvocation class respectively offer functionality that is equivalent to
> that of libffi. As NSInvocation is also available in GNUStep, I think it
> would be most portable to solve the message passing using that class.

Well, objc_msgSendv is undocumented, and we have to
construct calls somehow, anyway. I don't know how easy it is to
build NSInvocation instances by hand, but it all looks like a hack as
well (just as with libffi), especially regarding your comments about
non-working ObjC dispatching code, etc.

> The changing or deletion of classes during runtime in general and of method
> signatures in specific would be very problematic -- especially if you start
> considering multithreaded or network messaging scenarios.

I would simply disallow class-changes at runtime.

But I better spend my time with things I understand. I'm pretty new
to OS X and have to learn a good deal more.

cheers,
felix