Re: [certi-dev] Keep getting FederateAlreadyExecutionMember

From: Eric Noulard
Subject: Re: [certi-dev] Keep getting FederateAlreadyExecutionMember
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2011 09:38:26 +0200

2011/8/9 Monday Morning <address@hidden>:
> Hello,

Hi Makhno,

> I am fairly new to HLA (having come from an exclusive DIS background) and am
> teaching myself as I go along. I have come across CERTI as the most complete
> RTI so far that does not involve paying $$$ for the software.
> I have been able to get my various DIS applications working so far by
> pretending to be the DIS API but really speaking HLA with the RTR FOM.
> However, I have had a few problems with CERTI which seem to me to be
> glaringly obvious problems that they must be something wrong with my use of
> the library rather than the library itself.
>
> Firstly, my most serious problem is that if an application exits without
> resigning from the federation, I cannot re-join the federation. Because I
> get the FederateAlreadyExecutionMember exception. Advice appears to be to
> ignore it (as though I had two Federates joining with the same name) but
> this doesn't work, I just get an exception further down when I start to
> create objects (NameNotFound).

Some preliminaryu questions:

  1) Which version of CERTI are you using on which platform ?
  2) Which binding do you use
        C++ HLA 1.3
        C++ IEEE-1516
        Python HLA 1.3

Some generic answer:
 - 2 separate federate of the same federation shall not have the same name
 - If a federate did not resign currently CERTI does not resign it by
some timeout mechanism
   even less destroy the federation, this is a implementation choice
however I'll check HLA
   document in order to this what is told about that case.

> I even get this problem if I try to terminate normally - so I call
> unsubscribeObjectClass, deleteObjectInstance, unpublishObjectClass etc on
> everything then call
> resignFederationExecution(RTI::DELETE_OBJECTS_AND_RELEASE_ATTRIBUTES)

This should be a bug I'll try to see if I can reproduce this.
Do you get the very same error in this case?
Did your application terminate and restart in this case or does it perform

create/join/resign/destroy/create/join etc... in the same run?

> yet I still more often than not get the same problems when I try to restart
> the
> federation and rejoin.

Is the rtig restarted as well in this case?

> Is this a known issue or am I doing something wrong?

Some are expected some are not.

http://www.april.org