[certi-dev] Keep getting FederateAlreadyExecutionMember

From: Monday Morning
Subject: [certi-dev] Keep getting FederateAlreadyExecutionMember
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2011 19:16:19 +0100

Hello,
I am fairly new to HLA (having come from an exclusive DIS background) and am teaching myself as I go along. I have come across CERTI as the most complete RTI so far that does not involve paying $$$ for the software.
I have been able to get my various DIS applications working so far by pretending to be the DIS API but really speaking HLA with the RTR FOM. However, I have had a few problems with CERTI which seem to me to be glaringly obvious problems that they must be something wrong with my use of the library rather than the library itself.

Firstly, my most serious problem is that if an application exits without resigning from the federation, I cannot re-join the federation. Because I get the FederateAlreadyExecutionMember exception. Advice appears to be to ignore it (as though I had two Federates joining with the same name) but this doesn't work, I just get an exception further down when I start to create objects (NameNotFound).
I even get this problem if I try to terminate normally - so I call unsubscribeObjectClass, deleteObjectInstance, unpublishObjectClass etc on everything then call resignFederationExecution(RTI::DELETE_OBJECTS_AND_RELEASE_ATTRIBUTES) yet I still more often than not get the same problems when I try to restart the federation and rejoin.

Is this a known issue or am I doing something wrong?

Thank you for CERTI,

Makhno