bna-farsilinux

[FarsiLinux] debian-installer

From: Matthias Laabs
Subject: [FarsiLinux] debian-installer
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 16:51:39 +0430

hi,

- the development of the gtk frontend for the installer is stopped until
there is a solution to [1].

- Why gtk and not qt?
for debian-installer (d-i) we need udeb's[2] instead of deb's. So we
would need a udeb for C++ as qt needs C++ unlike gtk which is C based.
C++ brings lots of dependencies and the installer tries to be as small
as possible to fit on small ramdisks...

- partitioning:
the only tool capable of our needs seems to be parted.
There are several front-ends for parted:
nparted (newt)
qtparted (qt)
part-gui (qt)
gtk-parted (gtk)

where the last 2 don't seem to be in an acceptable state.

does somebody have experience with newt(based on libslang) and RTL?

i don't think there is any reason to wait for sarge, because we can mix
packages from stable to unstable as we want. I never had stability
probs within over than a year running debian unstable with bleeding
edge kernels (now: 2.6.0-test)

greets,

Matthias

[1]
http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2003/debian-boot-200307/msg00519.html
"... It does not make sense to offer a graphical installer which is more
or less identical to the newt frontend. "

[2]
http://cvs.debian.org/*checkout*/debian-installer/doc/modules.txt?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/plain