Re: [be] Sharing notes with paratext?

From: David Gardner
Subject: Re: [be] Sharing notes with paratext?
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2011 14:55:52 +0200

On Wed, Dec 07, 2011 at 03:47:51AM -0800, David Ingraham wrote:
> I export into Open Office. Then I am able to do any layout options I want.
>
> File: Export
> Forward: Bible
> Select Open Document
> Where save to?
> I select desktop then just type in the name of the book, i.e. Matthew
> When it comes to select books, highlight the book or books you want to export
> hit ok and there it is on the desktop. Then I can put it into any folder I
> want
> after that.

Yes, we do that sort of thing all teh time. Actually I have some perl
scripts that I use to grab the data straight from .bibledit, do some
extra consistency checking/character substitutions on them,
and then typeset using XeTeX. That bit's easy!

at our most recent consultant check, (which was done remotely)
the process it looked like this for us:
1. Our consultant comes up with questions, enters them in his paratext
2. He takes them from paratext, and pastes them into a text editor.
3. He sends us the text file
4. We turn the text file into a tab separated table, import it into open
office, and manually paste in the original verses into one of the columns,
and print it (power isn't 100% reliable, but paper copes a lot better with
power cuts...)
5. the helpers give their opinion and we write their responses and any
re-working of the text that the translator wants to do.
6. type the changes into BE and openoffice.
7. email the doc back to the consultant....
8. consultant has to check that all his questions are in the doc and have
been answered.

Which works OK, but if he comes up with any extra questions later on then
we might not notice them, also it is not trivial have issues partly
resolved.

Ideally the model would look like this:

1. We sync our notes to the distributed version control system (dvcs)
2. Consultant syncs his note system to ours.
3. As 1. above, except that he can see if some of his questions have been
addressed already.
4. He syncs them back to the dvcs.
5. We pick them up from there and get them into Bibledit notes, copying in the
original text. Re-run process as needed to pick up any later changes.
6. we print them if needed
7. (as 5 before)
8. Enter the changes into BE / BE notes, mark issues as for
consultant/translator as appopriate as we go through them.
9. we merge the changes back to DVCS every hour or so.
10. consultant now has access to our replies, and can easily see where we
are in addressing issues.

OK, pt used mercurial as far as I know, and BE uses git, but there are
compatability layers around. The bigger problem is what the differences in
formats are, which I have no idea about. How compatable are the 2 systems?
Does anyone know?

David