Re: [be] Install of Bibledit-Gtk 4.3 on MacOS X 10.7.1

From: Neil Mayhew
Subject: Re: [be] Install of Bibledit-Gtk 4.3 on MacOS X 10.7.1
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 22:20:46 -0600

Hi Maurice,

I think your problems with text display and input are the result of the X11 environment on Mac OS being separate from the native Aqua environment, and not sharing its font and keyboard capability.

It is possible to have MacPorts install a native version of GTK, and have Bibledit use that. I believe text display and input would then work correctly, although there might be a few more minor glitches since the Aqua version of GTK isn't officially supported. I haven't tried Bibledit with GTK-Aqua myself yet, so I can't give exact instructions, unfortunately. I have tried other applications with it in the past, and found they were mostly fairly successful. Doing this with Bibledit has been on my to-do list for a long time, but since you may be interested I'll try to bring that closer to the top of the list.

In brief, you would need to do:

sudo port install gtk2 cairo pango +quartz

Let me know if you try this and have any success.

If your only purpose in using Bibledit is to generate OSIS from SFM, I assume you can still do that despite the problems you mentioned. However, for Bibledit to be useful for anything else, them these issues do need to be addressed.

--Neil