[be] versification - non-Bibledit user

From: Eric Chapman
Subject: [be] versification - non-Bibledit user
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2010 15:14:19 +0200

Dear all,
I'm not a Bibedit user (I sometime hope to be). I have been lurking on the BE
lists for quite a while. I'm wondering if you might help me with versification.
I have manually changed versification in the past and am looking for a quicker
way to do it. I have a USFM Bible file that I believe follows something close
to what would be considered the "original" verse mapping in Bibledit. I am
planning to have a small program made that will "harvest" the verse text data
in the USFM file and reformat it for a module in a desktop Bible program. That
is rather straightforward. However, the versification will be wrong, since the
target program only uses the English versification (specifically that of the
AV/KJV). Is there any way I could gain some leverage from work previously done
with verse mapping in Bibledit? Could I provide the programmer with the
"original" and "English" mapping files from Bibledit and save myself the time
involved in manually checking a long list of divergent versifications? Any
input would be appreciated!
Eric