Re: [be] Re: About a web based Bible translation environment

From: Robert Hunt
Subject: Re: [be] Re: About a web based Bible translation environment
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2010 07:56:34 +1300

Yes, a sentence is a MEANINGful unit (whereas verse breaks are pretty much nothing to do with meaning).

I found that our mother-tongue translators (and even myself -- horrors!) often worked on one VERSE at a time as a unit in Paratext, because a paragraph is too long to get your head around at a time, but there was no tool/view that encouraged you to work on a sentence at a time. But as a principle, I really hate the idea of taking a totally artificial chunk like a verse and using it as a translation unit.

But in the case of the long second Greek sentence in Ephesians (and many other places where one or more sentence breaks need to be added for understandability), this is where your translators would be really helped by a further option to put a front or model translation (particularly one from your target family of cultures) between the original and their new work.

And yes, multiple views are more likely to please more people.

Blessings,
Robert.

P.S. One of my personal "spare-time" aims for the first quarter of this year is to do a review and evaluation of Bibledit -- where it is at and where it seems to be heading. (I hope to post such reviews on http://www.freely-given.org/.) I'll be glad of your input when I get to it.

bahasa kita wrote:
Robert,
Are you meaning organizing the display based on sentences in Greek or Hebrew? So often we need to break or reorganize sentences in the languages we are working with.

What we really need is the flexibility to have to various views, that one can select via a hot key or the click of an icon. That way would, I hope, encourage people to see paragraph chunks, while giving the flexibility to organize the screen differently. For instance, when searching for things, it is still helpful to have the option of a verse view.

Phil