Re: [be] Re: [LTS] bibledit-3.6 released

From: Teus Benschop
Subject: Re: [be] Re: [LTS] bibledit-3.6 released
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2009 15:45:47 +0200

Sorry, people, for cross-posting.

Let me put something down below:

On Mon, 2009-02-02 at 09:32 +0000, address@hidden wrote:

> Is the following scenario correct?
>
> Translator A works on his laptop A.
> He merges the copy for the project librarian's computer (the master
> copy) to his laptop.
>
> Result: the chapters which are different on his computer are overwritten.

The librarian, if he is the one that controls the master copy, should
never avail this copy to translator A. That would defeat the purpose.
The purpose will be written below...

> This is fine if they reflect an earlier version on laptop A and for
> chapters which are missing.
>

> QUESTION: The main benefit of this operation seems to be a speed
> improvement and to avoid putting too much load on the version control
> system. Right?

The reason why this system was introduced is that there are many rogue
typists around. I can speak from experience from my own team that one
translator can really wreak havoc in the project. So that is why an
accurate person has been given the master project. He merges anything
good that comes from the rogue typist into the master copy, and leaves
the mistakes out. When through he copies the whole master project to the
team's project, and by doing so he overwrites and erases all the errors
of the rogue typist. This effectual gives the "wild" typist a clean copy
again.

There is one typist in our team who manages to erase lots of verses from
the project, and then comes to me to ask me to put them back in (if he
notices what he did). Sometimes he does not notice though...

> REFERENCE: http://www.nongnu.org/bibledit/merging.html describes the
> merging process

Teus.