[be] [sr #106781] MSI Creation needs to be done from the Makefile

From: Jonathan Marsden
Subject: [be] [sr #106781] MSI Creation needs to be done from the Makefile
Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 21:23:23 +0000

Follow-up Comment #1, sr #106781 (project bibledit):

I'm aware of free tools like NSIS that can create .exe Windwos installers and
can be run from a (Linux) Makefile (although setting up a working Cygwin-style
Windows cross-compilation environment sufficient to compile bibledit that way
would be somewhat challenging!).  However, I'm *not* aware of similar free
software tools that generate .MSI files... which (open source) installer
generator(s) are you thinking of that can do this?

My RPM packaging days are... well, a bit of a distant memory, so this process
may have changed somewhat by now:  For a 'generic' RPM file, including the
bibledit.spec file at the top level of the source tarball is usually
sufficient, since then doing

  rpmbuild -ta bibledit-3.7-1.tar.gz

will build your RPMs for you, and anyone doing RPM packaging should already
know that (though documenting this in an INSTALL file is obviously fine).
Since this rpmbuild process operates on the tarball itself, including a
Makefile target in the Makefile inside that tarball is a bit
counter-productive -- you have to unpack the tarball to discover that you
didn't really need to unpack it, and that Makefile doesn't "know" where you
put the tarball relative to where you unpacked it.

For Debian and Ubuntu, the general rule is to keep the packaging work (under
a debian subdirectory) *outside* the upstream source tarball, so bibledit
should continue to follow that approach.  Adding documentation/help files that
point to where the Debian/Ubuntu packages are is, of course, fine and probably
useful.

Jonathan

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/support/?106781>

  Message sent via/by Savannah