[be] [task #9414] Bibledit should use a release branch for major release

From: Jonathan Marsden
Subject: [be] [task #9414] Bibledit should use a release branch for major releases
Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 21:08:08 +0000

Follow-up Comment #1, task #9414 (project bibledit):

I think the idea of branching for new major releases makes good sense.  It is
more work for the maintainers to have a "stable release" and a "new features"
branch, though.

I'd suggest just branching before a release is made; so you'd create a 3.8
branch, and release from that, leaving the trunk to continue with new features
etc.  Minor bug fixes get added to the trunk *and* backported to the stable
3.8 branch, and so would be included in a subsequent 3.8.1 bugfix release,
etc.

I don't see much benefit to changing the version numbering scheme; the
current three-part major.minor.micro scheme should be plenty flexible enough,
I would think, and is very common and so reasonably well understood.

Jonathan

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?9414>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/