Possible Debian/Ubuntu packaging issue (was: [be] Re: [LinuxUser] bibled

From: Jonathan Marsden
Subject: Possible Debian/Ubuntu packaging issue (was: [be] Re: [LinuxUser] bibledit-3.7 released)
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 13:36:32 -0700

Teus Benschop wrote:

It may be that the person who created the Debian (or Ubuntu) package,
set some rules so that Bibledit looks like it depends on Bibletime.
But there's no such dependency. I'm cc-ing this to the
bibledit-development list in the hope that the person who packages
bibledit may read this and hopefully resolve that in future packages
he uploads.

Mea culpa... maybe?? I'm not very convinced that this is really the problem Kim is reporting.

A Recommends: bibletime line has been in the debian/control file of bibledit packages since at least 2006, *long* before I became involved, and is present in the currently official Ubuntu bibledit packages for Intrepid, bibledit 2.2-2.1. I left it in debian/control (seeing no real reason to remove it) when I created my newer 3.5/3.6/3.7 packages.

This was modified into a Suggests: in my very recent (2009-04-18) revised package bibledit 3.6-2, which will not see the light of day, since this morning I made a bibledit 3.7-1 package that also includes this same change :) I hope to test that some more tonight, and I intend to upload it to my PPA and propose it for upload to Debian unstable if all looks good.

A "Recommends:" entry really should not prevent installation in any case, it is simply a recommendation. It definitely does not indicate a dependency, that is what Depends: does! So there may be something else going on here. It sounds like someone or something is confused about what Recommends: does??

In bibledit 3.6-2 (and so also bibledit 3.7-1) the Recommends: was already reduced to Suggests:, which is even weaker. I don't know of any .deb package installer that acts on Suggests: lines automatically. They are just a suggestion :) So, if the Recommends: bibletime line part of is what caused the issue for Kim, my latest packages should avoid this.