[be] [task #8017] use/allow xetex as formatter

From: Teus Benschop
Subject: [be] [task #8017] use/allow xetex as formatter
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 09:52:49 +0000

Follow-up Comment #2, task #8017 (project bibledit):

Adding comments so they won't get lost:

Anyway, you point about TeX is well taken. You are right, it is a beast
to control and starting from scratch is certainly not advisable. I use
TeX for typesetting and I wouldn't be able to work with it except that a
Scripture publishing macro package has been written for it called
ptx2pdf. This is what Paratext will be using. They will be using XeTeX
along with ptx2pdf to output fairly good Scripture portions.

In my work, I only ask that the editor deliver to me good USFM marked up
text in Unicode encoding. BE does a fine job of that so, from my
perspective as a Scripture publisher I don't need anything else.
However, from my perspective as a BE user I would like some kind of
simple output, just so I could get it on paper and see it in print. You
have said that it will output to ODF so I'll have to look into that. The
last time I tried it didn't work but I know that I'm not running the
most recent version. I typically don't use software that I have to
compile unless I'm really desperate. I normally wait until it is packaged.

As for using TeX, we are developing a package here we call ptxplus. My
colleague here will be presenting it at our Computer Technical
Conference in November. When we have something packaged up you can try
I'll send you a copy. That might help give you a better idea of what TeX
can do. I'm not saying that it is the right thing to deploy in BE but I
think you have not yet seen what it can do when properly applied. For
Scripture publishing needs here in MSEA, as far as I can see, it is the
only thing that can be deployed efficiently and effectively.

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?8017>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/