[Bayonne-devel] Secure Calling; GNU ccrtp 1.5/new libzrtpcpp released to

From: David Sugar
Subject: [Bayonne-devel] Secure Calling; GNU ccrtp 1.5/new libzrtpcpp released today
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2006 17:51:25 -0400

Starting today we are releasing GNU ccrtp 1.5.0, with support for the
"Secure RTP profile", RFC 3711, which allows for secure connections, and voice encryption using either libgcrypt or openssl backends. In addition, we are releasing native support for Phil Zimmermann's ZRTP protocol, which offers a transparent way to transfer encrypted voice over existing infrastructure. This work was completed with the incredible effort of Werner Dittmann, and extensive help by Michel de Boer, who works on the Twinkle Softphone.

These efforts together represent the first step of how I envision we will provide intercept-free privacy enhancing communications worldwide, both privately and over the public Internet. In addition, it has been well demonstrated by recent events how important it is to secure call session information from passive data mining, which we will do through TLS enabled SIP in the future, and to obscure the ip address of communicating endpoints, such as through the use of anonymous RTP proxies. Both of these capabilities will be developed through future releases of GNU Bayonne, starting with a sips (tls sip/srtp) session driver, with zrtp passive pass-through, and later some more interesting capabilities to forward publish and share contact information.

The results of this work is immediately usable by everyone today, starting with GNU ccrtp 1.5.0, the new libzrtpcpp 0.9.0, and the 0.9 release of the Twinkle softphone client, which now implements the SRTP and ZRTP functions offered in our new release of GNU ccrtp.

I will comment much more on Secure Calling in the near future.

Downloads:

http://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/commoncpp/commoncpp2-1.5.0.tar.gz
http://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/ccrtp/ccrtp-1.5.0.tar.gz
http://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/ccrtp/libzrtpcpp-0.9.0.tar.gz